Camera hacks! Canon Magic Lantern, CHDK, & Stuffs
Every hacks for cameras!
List of Known cameras
|Model||Continuing?||Magic Lantern / CHDK||Hacked||Sauces|
|EOS 3000D / 4000D / Rebel T100||YES||Magic Lantern||Unavailable|
|EOS 1300D / Kiss X80 / Rebel T6||Discontinued||Magic Lantern||Available||
What to do?
In this page, there is:
- Camera Special Cases Attempts to make the camera hack works
- How To Compile & install the hacks Complete & Updated at best hack build compile & installation instruction
for EOS firmwares (except EOS M that uses Powershot / IXUS firmware)
- Wikipedia: List of Canon products (English version)
- MagicLantern.fm Canon EOS DSLR (except EOS with PowerShot firmware)
- MagicLantern Download which
- MagicLantern Builds
MagicLantern Experimental & Nightly Builds
- MagicLantern How to install
- MagicLantern NEWER How to install Work in Progress
Getting started with development
a1ex's thread of how to setup development.
Also one more thing. You better use VM / Container / Docker compiling this. Because I heard that a Docker used once said Use Container., because using latest library often fails, because of different looks, mechanism, & configurations. So yeah, just.. trust me, I'm sorry. Get the one that definitely works for that version of configurations. Umm, only nanomad's VM link works, the nikfreak's VM Google Drive link requires access
- (Twitter, GIF) Compiling Magic Lantern and QEMU on Ubuntu - just run the install script :)
Compiling Magic Lantern and QEMU on Mac
Latest qemu branch on a fresh Mac VM:
- MagicLantern How to QEMU How can I run Magic Lantern in QEMU? (Linux Only! use WSL or real Linux! here WSL info)
- reticulatedpines how to qemu QEMU 4 how to compile NEW
- reticulatedpines' QEMU QEMU 4 version of QEMU EOS
- Portable EOS ROM Dumper models running EOS firmware, 2 ≤ DIGIC ≤ 8
- Canon EOS Basic Dumper all DIGIC 8 and 10 models
Canon EOS Display Test BIN
needs MagicLantern OR create
FIRout of this.
- Finding Stubs Tutorial: finding stubs
MagicLantern Browse Source code
Hosted in Heptapod & is Mercurial (hg), not Git! use TortoiseHg (Windows), ??? (Linux). if asked login, try
guest(both username & password). If still fail, well make Heptapod account??. No login required with TortoiseHg, just clone right click menu!
MagicLantern Simplified Source code
Hosted in GitHub by
reticulatedpines / names_are_hard
MagicLantern ccritix Source code
Hosted in GitHub by
MagicLantern Browse Source code
lua_fixBranch Hosted in Heptapod & is Mercurial, not Git!
- MagicLantern Hacking Documentation EOS Firmware in QEMU development & reverse engineering guide
- Eeko 2nd Processor ML Forum
- MagicLantern Not Dead Edition reticulatedpines here ported ML to 200D
- How to Compile MagicLantern On Windows 10 (with WSL) / Debian Ubuntu Linux Compiling Magic Lantern on Windows 10 (using its Linux subsystem)
- How to Compile MagicLantern On Windows 10 (with Cygwin MinGW-64) Compiling Magic Lantern with Cygwin/MinGW-64
- Forum thread of msys MinGW Compiling ML on Windows with msys/MinGW - The Sequel
- How to Compile MagicLantern On Windows 10 (with Msys MinGW-64) Compiling ML on Windows with msys/MinGW - The Sequel
- How to Compile MagicLantern On Cloud with Codio Compiling Magic Lantern in the Cloud
- Magic Lantern Development Get started a1ex's forum thread of Getting started with development
- Using TortoiseHG (GUI) - Working with branches - Creating Pull Request
- Want to help with development, without having to code?
- Easy Coding tasks a1ex's list of assignments of easy code tasks you can pick & help
- coon42's UART Connector gerber
- coon42's Magic Lantern Dev kit GitHub repository
- a1ex's 200D Bootflag enabler
- FINAL MAGICLANTERN STICKIES The sticky to end all stickies. Read this first.
- Getting ML development machine up & running a list of threads that will help you in merging your own code to ML
- EOS 4000D / 3000D / Rebel T100 Development Joel has this DSLR, alas though, development seems has stopped
- EOS 4000D / 3000D / Rebel T100 Platform folder on ccritix's GitHub-ed ML source code
EOS 1300D / Kiss X80 / Rebel T6 Development
We were told by
a1exhimself to go follow here after that main 3000D thread.
- EOS 1300D / Kiss X80 / Rebel T6 Go to the last page!
- EOS 1300D / Kiss X80 / Rebel T6 Go to the download message!
- EOS 1300D / Kiss X80 / Rebel T6 Important info regarding libUSB Zadig still seems very janky, slow, and destructive...
- EOS 1300D / Kiss X80 / Rebel T6 ccritix build 2022-02-07 download now!
EOS 1300D / Kiss X80 / Rebel T6 FIR missing so Walter asked us to go to this reply 483!
is goes to here, which already you should to to that new install above.
Again, basically you just better do the MLinstall & libUSB-ing your 1300D instead of FIR file like it was on CHDK, idk, I think.., The guide just expect you to have those
MLfolder in the root of your memory card (SD) that's all.
Canon EOS R5 / R6 Development reply 196!
yourboylloyd: Yes you can help if you have firmware version 1.0.0. I'll give you some steps below on how to perform a ROM dump. ... (has link to Win32Disk Imager & R6 Dumper IMG
- It was from here. Walter Schulz suggested to go to that EOS R6 dumper how.
- CHDK cpuinfo (portable code, also digic 6)
- Display access from bootloader / Portable binary test
- 1.3.6 Firmware 5D Mk3 (and other models) Downgrade / Rollback Tutorial
- Firmware Update/Downdate? How to do Canon Firmware update
- Porting a Canon firmware update
- DIGIC 7 development (200D/SL2, 800D/T7i, 77D, 6D2) Give or take HELP mE!!!!
- Official statement about ML's GPL license and its violation
- Daniel C's / petabyt's YouTube video of How install ML on EOS 1300D / Kiss X80 / Rebel T6 Please also read the description for latest updates
- Heads up for that 1300D
- MagicLantern installer by petabyt (same guy who made Fujihack). Install MagicLanter, enable bootflags, etc.
- MagicLantern installer forum thread Magic Lantern USB Installation Tool
- MagicLantern installer Manual
- petabyt's research on enabling Canon bootflags
- petabyt's ML commit's for 1300D
- Please resort your libUSB to here instead! mcue's libUSB filter installer
- MagicLantern's twitter reminder
- NEW! Pelican's EOSCARD & Original EOS firmwares
- ASM introduction Magic Lantern's Wikia article of ARM Assembly Introduction
Gratis & Open Source app to process & grade your Magic Lanter RAW Video. Basically Lightroom
but for Magic Lantern Video (MLV) !
See the thread about it here.
- armv7 simulator online - 01xz.net There are: https://cpulator.01xz.net/, https://cpulator.01xz.net/?sys=arm, & https://www.01xz.net/wiki/Project:About. Oh, they're same application, different navigations. Yeah, 01xz.net.
- Custom ML themes/menus!
- petabyt added Tetris game for this ML.
- EOS 1500D / 2000D / Rebel T7 / Kiss X90 no progress
- Progress from Nikon Hacker guys
- Using DSLR as Webcam without capture card - Any tips? Contains many softwares such as digiCamControl & OBS. These allows possibility for using your DSLR camera as a Webcam, all without using sketchiest sloppyness or too expensive capture card. Yeah, Canon just what the peck?!
- Ransomware on Canon cameras Ransomware on Canon cameras. Read Article here & make sure your camera firmware is up to date whenever available, everything, not just non-WiFi models..
- JOELwindows7's TikTok Videos Videos related to DSLR I have posted on TikTok. seriously, idk what to contribute here because I'm getting stuck!
- Heads up for building ML on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Serveral packages you need to have.
- How to quit service mode on a Canon camera? Forum thread
- Canon 7D Factory Menu Forum thread
- Canon 7D Factory Menu, petabyt said.. Forum thread
- Secret menus ML Wikia article
- ML Emulation Wikia article ML Wikia article
- ARM Console ML Wikia article.
- ARM Console Git
Overclock SD card 240 MHz preset for EOS 5D mk. III, M, 100D
Fully Funded, download $0 available. Report immediately under Bug Report
[Paywalled]title tag if there's a trap!
rst2latex.pynot found do
sudo apt install apt-get install texlive-fonts-extra& the
python-matplotlibis not found idk where they are now. just get any matplotlib you could have with
synaptic!. from here
- Reserved Porting Guide ML Wiki article
- Lime Core ML Wiki article
- Reverse Engineering ML Forum category
- LiveView Reverse Engineering ML Forum Thread
- Battery Grip Reverse Engineering ML Forum Thread
- DIGIC 8 DryOS Shell (drysh) investigation ML Forum Thread
- Sensor Factory Calibration ML Forum Thread
- Hot pixel suppression at ISO 6400? ML Forum Thread
Octopus's RAW player
Play RAW video files such as
DNG. As seen on This ML Thread, hi russelln!
Source code at: This GitHub repository, MIT Licensed.
- Brainstorming features for a PTP/USB/IP Android App ML Forum Thread. ye, petabyt.
- Shooting UHD video (16:9) on Canon Mark III. Is it possible? ML Forum Thread
for the Blender3D users - rigid body chain simulation video
ML Forum Thread. Completely OFF topics to
ML Funding ideas, one which is to be like Blender's
ML Forum Thread. Idea discussion for
fundingfor this ML.
- Just found a full documentary shot on ML! ML Forum Thread.
- ML in the media: PetaPixel article ML Forum Thread. here article
- Magic Lantern discussions before the forum - 2009 ML Forum Thread. here legacy Google Group of ML development discusssion
- Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera ML Forum Thread.
- MagicLantern DOOM DOOM runs on Canon EOS camera lol! ML Forum thread about this, Reddit thread about this, YouTube video about this.
- Arri Alexa vs EOS M ML Forum Thread. Walter shares This video about Canon EOS M becomes as competitive as ARRI Alexa
Reverse Engineering Picture Styles
ML Forum Thread.
- Walter shared the archive of MagicLantern BitBucket download page, or that was dfort's fork??
- Yes, the download files did not transfered to Heptapod!
- Here's Fine Detail PF2 for older cameras
- Yes, the original link died so markanini helped you all gamers.
- Yeah, aceflibble. Next time never use file host that does not guarantee preservation.
- here dfort found canon log demonstration at a camera expo once upon a time
- from this reply
Ah you know what? let's just bring all Picture Styles ZIP PF3 dfort had here, coz Web Archive often becomes unreliable at times!, well more often.
- 2016-09-07 v1.4 Test version to improve highlights detail. (Don't use if you're using zebras to judge exposure.) Dropped logStandard and logFaithful. UNSTABLE LATEST
- 2016-09-02 v1.3 Overall better match STABLE RECOMMENDED
- 2016-09-01 v1.2 Combined highlights from v1.0 with shadows from v1.1 and Saturation now defaults to -2
- 2016-08-31 v1.1 Small adjustments to correct color shifts in shadows
- 2016-08-31 v1.0 Initial release
- Fine Detail for older cameras BONUS: aceflibble's Picture Style PF2. Reuploaded by markanini
- DMCA Inquiry ML Forum
- Do you realize that only too few camera had RAW video capability? ML Forum. Yes, that was mine!
names_are_hard's Ghidra script
ML Forum. He got scripts! Read this topic for instructions!
- StubNamer.py Give it Stub.S & this will name & disassemble ROM stubs in your listing. ROM? ML? huh?
State of the ML Development
ML Forum. Kitor said that it's pretty much abandoned with forks now coming up continuing. Bellow here are examples need to check out right now:
- names_are_hard's Simplified Magic Lantern Simplified for Digic 6 & other newer models.
- Danne's crop_rec_4K 5D Mk. III Magic Lantern crop_rec_4K for EOS 5D Mark III. Downloads
- Danne's crop_rec_4K EOS M Jip Hop Magic Lantern crop_rec_4K for EOS M. Downloads. Also pls iaburn's message, quote it here!
- lua_fix Magic Lantern lua_fix.
- MLVFS ML Forum.
- Discord development channel ML Discord server. Real-time discussions and assistance with ML development. Not for general user support
for PowerShot IXUS firmwares (including EOS M with PowerShot / IXUS firmware)
- CHDK (Canon Hack Dev Kit) Canon PowerShot & IXUS (including EOS with PowerShot firmware)
- CHDK Downloads & Infos
- CHDK Developer
CHDK Browse Source Code
Hosted at Assembla & is SVN, not Git, use TortoiseSVN (Windows), ??? (Linux). If you only preserve, use anything e.g.
guest(both username & password) if Assembla asks you login, otherwise pls have account at assembla. just
guestworks in TortoiseSVN checkout right click menu!
- CHDK Forum
- CHDK Downloads Stable Autobuild
- CHDK Downloads Unstable Autobuild
- CHDK Scripts
- Pelican (pel.hu) Downloads Has EOSCard application
- CHDK Links Highlights of interesting & essential links around CHDK
- USB Remote Article about USB remote. How to USB Remote with CHDK
- disassemble.pl ROM disassembler perl script. for DIGIC 2 to 8
- disassemble7.pl ROM disassembler 7 perl script. for DIGIC 6 to 8
Official Canon tools
- CanonUSA's YouTube video about EOS Webcam Utility PRO Heads up! the PRO is paid 💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀🤓🤓🤓💀💀💀💀💀💀! & free tier you now have is now severly limited. also the PRO is exclusive to USA atm (they said).
EOS Webcam Utility PRO
ARGH!!! You insane Motherpecker!!! I did not expect you too become like this.
We have been rooting for you you but hole!!! Sony did license partialism things with VENICE, and now you pecking too?!?!?
HELLOOOOOOOOO!!! DECENT QUALITY HDMI CABLE IS NOT EASY & CHEAP TO GET!!! NOT TO MENTION, The.. THe HDMI here our cameras is pecking MINI, we need to..
use adapter SOME-PECKING-HOW, to get this DONE. YOU GET IT?!?!
ALSOOO, CAPTURE_PECKING_CARD is not EASY & CHEAP EITHER, the cheap ones often not sturdy, has lots of cracklings & disconnects & all these unreliability poops.
Yes, the MINI USB is hard, but that's not what we're talking today.
IT IS THAT THINGY!!! WHY 💀🤓💀🤓💀🤓💀🤓💀🤓💀🤓!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?
We've spent over $450 just for the mere worst camera the EOS 3000D / 4000D / Rebel T100. NOT TO MENTION, We have to be in debt for 12 PECKING MONTHS! Macbook not only expensive but you already & should know, has egregious walled garden like, ARGH get the hell outta here, Apple! Now who makes the best webcam in the world? Smartphone manufacturer yess! their webcam records in 4K! Who knows there is Open Source & $0 implementation how to connect phone cam to PC, idk, I hope!
(The limitations for virtual device
EOS Webcam Utility Proare: the scenes you have, Effects, Wireless pairing 💀 only in subscription, resolution it upscales / downscales to, & frame rate it interpolates / subdivides to, I think..)
- image.canon Upload photos & videos from your Canon cameras. Free 10 GB storage
- Canon SDK SDK to develop applications that controls your EOS cameras
Hacks for GoPro
Be ha hacker LMAO
- GoPro AutoExec GoPro Old Less than HERO 4.
- GoPro HERO4 Hack
- Konrad Iturbe's Thread about this GoPro Hack
- GoPro HERO4 Session Hack
- GoPro HERO5 Hack with GPAuto.
- GoPro Firmware research
- Portable non-permanent GoPro autoexecs (Not MagicLantern)
- Everything GoPro Hack Konrad Iturbe has!!! also his homepage at konraditurbe.dev
Hacks for Sony cameras with PlayMemories support (Android yess)
more other Sony hack ways to come
- Sony Camera Reverse Engineering Did you know that Sony used to support external modules & apps for their Alpha line up? called PlayMemories Camera Apps (PMCA). Yes that's right! It's because that it is infact these cameras are essentially supports / runs Android!! You can install more features for your Sony cameras, but unfortunately, Most of them are paid! & also I said used to which means, it's gone.
- Install OpenMemories:Tweak First!
Dump Sony camera Firmware with
OpenMemories App List Source code
the live website stopped working, pls wait while we working on the software that reinterpret the
yamlfile to be placed on your site!
- BatamKamera's YouTube video about OpenMemories:Tweak & How to install
- Aaron Prescott's YouTube video of how to install apps on your Sony camera with PlayMemories support
- Supported Sony Cameras for the Reverse Engineering of OpenMemories: Tweak
- OpenMemories Documentations
Official Sony tools
- Catalyst Browse Sony Alpha camera file browser PC. Also features extra shake stabilization as seen on this YouTube video
- Source Code Distribution service from that ML DMCA inquiry above
Hacks for Fujifilm
- Fujihack Fujifilm camera hacks! does not include Instax hacks support
- Fujihack Website
Hacks for Nikon DSLRs
- Nikon Hacker Website a forum
- Nikon Hacker Firmware Tool GitHub
- Nikon Hacker Firmwares Firmwares category
- (YouTube) The only camera hack you'll need for your Nikon (or any camera)
- (YouTube) Nikon Firmware Hack Tutorial
- (Twitter Profile) @nikonhacker
- ObengPlus' article about NikonHacker
- Nikon Emulator NikonHacker Wiki article, how to emulator. Amusingly, it only needs the Firmware file from official Nikon website unlike above where you need to dump it first. idk, could be, idk.
- Nikon Emulator Topic 1
- Nikon Emulator Topic 2
- Nikon Emulator Topic 0 Download emulator. You may need to supply your own dumped ROM as usual. idk..
Hacks for Kodak
- Hacking the Kodak Zx3 mentioned from petabyt's copying the tetris thingy here
Related to Photography & Videography
We intentionally did not embed all videos here due to privacy concern. Yes I know, we'll also get rid of clarity too if it is appropriate.
- Why Expensive cameras lacks built-in flash?
- CHDK! Remote mode with a Powerbank / USB Power Supply
- Trouble with EOS 3000D (4000D / Rebel T100)
- (Bahasa Indonesia) What's that another switch on the Lens tube?
- Pressing Playback while camera is off, EOS 4000D vs. PowerShot SX400IS. EOS or any camera with ON/OFF switch or Mode OFF dial cannot view playback unlike Point & Shoot (PowerShot & IXUS) counterpart
- Enabled High ISO speed
- Ironically, my EOS lacks Bahasa Indonesia unlike PowerShot & IXUS counterpart, regardless of when such products were released. Not to mention, Nikon DSLRs on the other hand supports Bahasa Indonesia somehow.
- Recording EOS 3000D flash in slowmo with my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
- (Bahasa Indonesia) How to fix missing Back Button Auto-focus
- (Bahasa Indonesia) How to fix missing DOF Preview button
- (FUNNY LOL LMAO) Triki Triki but with DSLR camera's DOF Preview (Apperture expand shrink)
- Unexplained messing around. Serious, it's an exciting day that I finally owns atleast a DSLR after been dreaming this since high school
- Where's the dummy battery wire slot opening located between EOS 3000D & PowerShot SX400IS?
- First attempt recording flash in slowmotion with Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
- The cursed song works!! I FINALLY GOT A DSLR even though it's debted 12 months (Credit Card)